“My purpose for chartering the LTF back in 1999, at the request of and with the assistance of then Supt. of State Police, Terry Landry, was to contribute whatever resources I had toward the development of “at risk” young people giving them resources and support to help them become strong contributors to the success of all aspects of our great state of Louisiana.”
William J. Doré is the founder and retired Chairman/CEO of Global Industries, Ltd., now Technip. He is the oldest of five children born in 1942 in New Iberia, Louisiana. In 1966 Mr. Doré earned a master’s degree in education from McNeese State University.
Mr. Doré is passionate about education and established the Horatio Alger Louisiana Scholarship Program through the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans. Since 2000 he has personally contributed more than $10.2 million toward scholarships for nearly 1,000 students to pursue a college career.
In recognition of Mr. Doré’s accomplishments in the oil and gas industry, he was presented the following awards:
- The Association of Diving Contractors’ (ADC) most prestigious award in 1999, the John B. Galletti Award. He was inducted into the ADC Divers Hall of Fame in 2005.
- The Rhodes Petroleum Industry Leadership Award in 2000 from the Petroleum Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers for his accomplishments in the oil and gas industry.
- The Horatio Alger Award in 2000—this award is given to leaders who have become successful while overcoming significant personal adversity through hard work, integrity, determination, and a strong dedication to helping others. Past recipients for this prestigious award include Ronald Reagan, Colin L. Powell, and Billy Graham. Mr. Doré was presented the Association’s highest award in 2011, the Norman Vincent Peale Award.
- The Pinnacle Award in 2005 that honors contemporary individuals for their contributions and inspirational leadership to the offshore industry.
- The Civic Service Award in 2011 from the Southwest Louisiana Chamber of Commerce. This award is presented to an outstanding member of the community who exemplifies leadership and service. He was honored for his dedication to education and the needs of others.
- The Louisiana Legends Award in 2016 from Friends of Louisiana Public Broadcasting. This award honors the best and brightest of Louisiana’s sons and daughters who have distinguished themselves in a variety of disciplines and have brought honor to the state.
In 1999, Mr. Doré chartered the Louisiana Trooper Foundation, an organization made up of Louisiana State Troopers and business leaders whose goals are to develop, establish, and support youth mentoring programs that promote interaction between Louisiana State Troopers, youth and communities by providing young people with sustained, constructive adult relationships through which they can build the positive life skills to become successful and productive citizens of their communities.
Mr. Dore served on the original steering committee and serves on the Board of Trustees for Blueprint Louisiana, an organization that strives to fundamentally improve the state through essential changes in education, infrastructure, ethics legislation, workforce development and healthcare.
Mr. Doré currently serves on the Horatio Alger Board of Directors, the Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center Council, and the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Board of Visitors and Executive Committee.
Mr. Doré is married to his high school sweetheart, Kay Legendre, and they have four grown children, thirteen grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.